The Position: Communications
and Advocacy Officer
The International Trade Union Confederation - Asia Pacific (ITUC-AP) represents over 60 million workers in 59 national trade union centres in 34 countries and territories in the Asian and Pacific region.
We are looking for a Communications and Advocacy Officer with strong records in campaigns, journalism, media, communications and advocacy preferably in the trade union movement either at the industrial, national or international level.
Under the guidance and supervision of the General Secretary, the Communications and Advocacy Officer will develop, organise and execute a wide range of activities to influence policy according to the scope of the ITUC-AP. The Communication and Advocacy Officer will build policy capacity of the ITUC-AP, advice on project implementation, carry out policy analysis, and the writing of position papers of the ITUC-AP.
Together with programme officers in the various areas of policy, the Communications and Advocacy Officer will play an active role in networking, lobbying and representing the ITUC-AP in a wide range of policy issues, conventions and media opportunities.
Tasks of the Communications and Advocacy Officer include:
1) Conceptualise and implement overall communication and advocacy strategies
2) Develop communication advocacy strategies in various areas of policy, including workers’ rights, economic and social policy, equality, development, climate change, etc., in cooperation with other programme officers responsible for specific areas of policy
Create, develop, write, edit and upload communication and advocacy materials,
including press releases, newsletters, homepage posts and social media contents
4) Liaise and build relations with affiliated national organisations of the ITUC-AP, and work with them to develop and support their various campaign activities relevant to the ITUC-AP priorities
5) Work with the Global Union Federations and other relevant organisations
6) Represent the ITUC-AP in meetings and events organised by the ITUC, Global Union Federations, international and regional inter-governmental organisations, etc.
1) Minimum 2 years relevant job experience in media, journalism, advocacy, campaigns or communications, preferably in the trade union movement
2) Understanding of political, economic and social issues relevant to workers and trade unions
3) Strong commitment to the aims and values of the trade union movement
4) Excellent command of English (written, oral, comprehension), including highly developed drafting skills
5) Familiar with web-editing, social media, newsletter/emailing and on-line communication and cooperation tools. Knowledge of graphic design, layout and publishing skills will be an asset
6) Outstanding interpersonal abilities and communication skills, including social media and multimedia skills
7) Proven capacity in self-organising, planning and reporting
· Salary range: SGD3,550.00 – SGD5,000.00 per month
· Location: Place of residence
· Start date: a.s.a.p. or first quarter of 2021